Thursday, July 23, 2026

Persuasion

 Jane Austen



Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
Genre: Classic + Romance


Persuasion gets 3 stars from me, though I had mixed feelings about it from beginning to end. I picked it up as part of my ongoing effort to clean up my library and finally read the books that have been sitting on my shelves for years. As Jane Austen's final completed novel, it tells the story of Anne Elliot, a woman who, eight years earlier, allowed herself to be persuaded into ending her engagement to Frederick Wentworth because those around her believed the match was unwise. When fate brings them back into each other's lives, both are forced to reckon with the choices they made and the years they cannot get back.

The novel relies entirely on a series of social visits, family obligations, and chance encounters. There are no dramatic twists or anything like that. You will see Anne always watching Wentworth from a distance while dealing with her own household, which is filled with vanity. Wentworth’s transformation from a young naval officer into a respected captain who is financially secure changes many things. 

I found that the author relied a lot on silence in building her story. Most of the emotions are hinted at rather than spoken. There is lots of emotional tension that is not being talked about, and lots of the conversations carry more meanings beneath the surface. Austen also concentrated a lot on the different aspects of society during that time, be it the rank, reputation, financial security, etc. 

I believe the author’s message from this story was whether love deserves another chance or not. I cannot deny that the premise of the book is quite thoughtful when you add everything to the subtle romance it has. My problem is that I never felt as emotionally invested in it as I had hoped.

Out of the three Austen novels I've read, Persuasion easily ranks the lowest. I loved Pride and Prejudice, while Northanger Abbey was just an okay read for me. This one, though, never reached either of those highs. If it were a contemporary novel published today, I honestly think I'd have rated it somewhere around 2 or 2.5 stars. Its place in literary history, and the fact that it was written more than two centuries ago, nudged my final rating up to a 3.0. That may seem generous, but it feels fair when judging it within its historical context rather than by modern storytelling standards.

Anne Elliot also didn't quite work for me as a protagonist. I know many readers admire her quiet resilience, and I can understand why. At the same time, she often felt so passive that I struggled to connect with her. The romance itself is incredibly restrained, almost to the point where it barely registers for long stretches of the book. Some readers may see that subtlety as its greatest strength; for me, it created an emotional distance that was hard to overcome.

Then there's the miscommunication trope, which is probably one of my least favorite devices in romance. It almost always frustrates me, and Persuasion seems to depend on it from beginning to end. I kept hoping the characters would simply have an honest conversation instead of letting assumptions and silence dictate their lives. Of course, that reluctance may be exactly what Austen intended to explore, but knowing the purpose behind it didn't make it any less irritating while I was reading.

One thing I did appreciate was my Vintage Classics edition. The cover is genuinely beautiful and looks fantastic on the shelf, which is partly why I bought it in the first place. Oddly enough, the interior design wasn't nearly as successful. Whenever the novel included letters, the formatting made them blend into the surrounding text, and I occasionally had to stop and work out where a letter ended before continuing. Even so, I don't regret owning this edition. My library cleanup isn't just about getting rid of books; it's also about deciding which ones are worth keeping. Although Persuasion turned out to be a fairly mediocre read for me, I'll be hanging on to it for now as a reference point in Austen's bibliography—and perhaps one day, with a different perspective, I'll appreciate it more than I did this time.

Key Themes

  • Second Chances
  • Regret
  • Social Class
  • Social Status
  • Family Influence
  • Pride and Humility

No comments:

Post a Comment

Persuasion

 Jane Austen Rating: ⭐⭐⭐ Genre: Classic + Romance Persuasion gets 3 stars from me, though I had mixed feelings about it from beginning to e...