Friday, July 31, 2026

Whispers of Madness

 Naguib Mahfouz


Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Genre: Short Stories

Whispers of Madness is a collection of short stories that focuses on the unsettling sides of ordinary human behavior. I don’t think I have read short stories by Naguib Mahfouz before. The stories flow from one situation into another, shedding light on different types of characters that are caught up in love, jealousy, greed, loneliness, and social expectations. I think the title is fitting for all the stories because each character has some kind of madness inside him that is exhibited in a different way. 

Mahfouz often takes seemingly ordinary situations and uses them to expose weaknesses in his characters, whether that is vanity, jealousy, selfishness, or an inability to accept reality. I also noticed several stories dealing with infidelity, and interestingly, in all of those cases the unfaithful character was the woman. That became noticeable after a while, especially since the stories were otherwise quite varied in their subjects. It is difficult to know whether Mahfouz was deliberately making a particular point through this pattern or simply reflecting the social attitudes of his time, but it definitely stood out to me. Beneath the humor and simpler plots, there is often a more serious look at relationships, morality, and the ways people justify their own behavior.

What I liked most is that the collection never takes itself too seriously for too long. The absurdity and drama are there, keeping the stories accessible. Not every story worked equally for me, which is normal for any reader. Some stories were better than others and had more punch. The shorter format also works in the book's favor in many cases. Even when a story did not completely land for me, it was usually over before it had a chance to become frustrating.

Having read many books by Mahfouz in the past, I already knew that I enjoyed his writing style, and that remained true here. His writing is quite simple and accessible. There is also a certain understated humor in the way he presents some of these situations. He can make a character's behavior seem ridiculous without turning the story into pure comedy. At the same time, the collection shows the limitations of the short-story format. Character development is naturally quite limited—ideas and sketches are what you get here. 

One of the strengths is the variety. Mahfouz knows how to touch on a surprisingly wide range of human weaknesses and social situations without making the collection feel completely repetitive. Some stories are humorous, others are more melancholic, and a few are considerably stranger or darker. The pacing is generally easy to follow because of the short format, although the quality varies from story to story. For me, the biggest weakness was simply inconsistency. There were several stories I really enjoyed, but there were also some that felt forgettable. That is probably unavoidable with a collection of this kind, but it keeps the book from feeling as consistently strong as some of Mahfouz's novels.

One other thing worth mentioning is that I could not find the English edition of the physical book I own on Goodreads or on other websites, so I am not even completely sure whether the version I read is the original translation or a different edition. That makes it a little difficult to judge the translation itself, although I had no major problems with the prose as I experienced it. Overall, Whispers of Madness is not a collection where every story is a winner, but I enjoyed the majority of them, and Mahfouz's familiar writing style made it an easy and worthwhile read for me. The stories may be uneven, and some are too slight to make a lasting impression, but there is enough humor, human observation, and variety here to make the collection a solid 4-star read.

Key Themes
  • Love
  • Desire
  • Infidelity
  • Social Status
  • Marriage
  • Absurdity
  • Madness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whispers of Madness

 Naguib Mahfouz Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Genre: Short Stories Whispers of Madness is a collection of short stories that focuses on the unsettling sides ...